[MB advising: see link at bottom of post to full job posting and application details (will expire when position is filled). Job posting details provided here for career exploration purposes.]
Assist in removal of marine debris (primarily derelict fishing gear and plastics) from the Northwest Hawaiian Islands (French Frigate Shoals).
Our work: Our crew of 9 employees and volunteers will be conducting cleanup operations at Tern Island, French Frigate Shoals. For 10 days, our crew will be camping on Tern Island and cleaning up the above-mentioned types of debris.
- Traveling to-and from Tern Island via charter vessel (M/V Imua), owned by Hawaii Resource Group and chartered by the US Fish and Wildlife Service
- Being transported between ship and shore via the Imua’s ship-board small boats: 1. 35ft landing craft, 24ft diesel RHIB, or 17ft inflatable
Cleanup activities include:
- Lifting up to 50lbs manually, handling debris that consists of ocean plastics, derelict fishing nets, lumber, asphalt roofing, cable, scrap metal, fiberglass, concrete fragments, and corroded metal seawall slats.
- Cutting of all of the above debris types using: serrated handheld fishing knives, electric reciprocating saws, circular saws, reciprocating multitools, portable bandsaw, and handheld grinder. The use of these tools will be limited to those who have previous occupational training and experience with power tools.
Concrete fragments will be broken up using electric handheld consumer-grade concrete breakers (42 lb, 44ft/lb)
Compact power equipment will also be utilized. This includes:
- Mini skid loader (532DX Boxer) Specifications this mini ride-behind skid steer would be operated using a 44″ bucket and fork attachments. Operators of this machine will only include individuals who have previous occupational heavy equipment experience and who have completed OSHA skid steer safety training.
- Kubota RTV X900WL 2 seat UTV (mini ATV truck). Operators of this machine will include anyone who has a valid drivers license.
Rigging and lifting of debris will take place using rated super sacks (bulk bags or bagsters), rated lifting straps, cargo nets and pallets.
Lifting will be done using the skid steer with forks or a rated single-point lifting attachment, and by a rated 2 ton chain hoist while on island.
Shipboard lifting will be accomplished by the ship’s crane: Specifications
All OSHA required PPE will be worn at all times for all activities. These activities include cutting with power tools, concrete breaking, and overhead lifting. PPE may include but is not limited to: safety glasses, face shields, gloves, earplugs, earmuffs, hardhats with chin straps, safety shoes, long pants, respiratory protection, and personal floatation devices.
Sept 28-Oct 2: Packing, prep, etc
Oct 5th: Load the ship
Oct 6th: Enter 14 day pre-departure quarantine
Oct 20th: Ship departs Honolulu
Oct 22: Ship drops us off on Tern Island (French Frigate Shoals) to camp for 10 days
Nov 1: Ship returns to Tern Island and picks us up
Nov: 4: Ship arrives back in Honolulu
Nov 5: Ship offload day
- BS degree or higher, in a field related to marine science
- Experience in field surveys, to include camping
- FIRST AID/CPR/AED desired
- OSHA 10-HOUR desired
- SKID STEER SAFETY desired
- COVID negative (valid test 3 days prior to departure)
- Ability to quarantine 14 days prior to and post survey
Lynker Technologies, LLC is a growing, Hub-zone certified small business specializing in professional, scientific and technical services. Our continually expanding team combines scientific expertise with mature, results-driven processes and tools to achieve technically sound, cost effective solutions in hydrology/water sciences, geospatial analysis, information technology, resource management, conservation, and management and business process improvement.
We focus on putting the right people in the right place to be effective. And having the right people is critical for success. Our streamlined organization enables and empowers our talented professionals to tackle our customers’ scientific and technical priorities – creatively and effectively.
Lynker offers a team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries and benefits, and the opportunity to work in a culture of exceptionally skilled and diverse professionals who embrace sound science and creative solutions.
Lynker is an E-Verify employer.
Lynker Technologies is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.