[MB advising: see link at bottom of post to full job posting and application details (will expire when position is filled). Job posting details provided here for career exploration purposes.]
The Marine Science Institute is seeking a qualified Junior Specialist in marine science to work with the California Sea Grant Extension Program and collaborating researchers on a marine biotoxin and fisheries project. This work aims to identify factors influencing biotoxin impacts on fished species, particularly crustaceans.
The qualified individual will work closely with the project investigators and others in the development and implementation of project-based research and outreach activities. Principal duties include: organizing and assisting with field research; managing laboratory activities such as sample processing, data entry and quality assurance and protocol documentation; data management and analyses; conducting literature searches and assisting with preparation of outreach materials including fact sheets, technical reports and manuscripts; coordinate, work with and mentor undergraduate student assistants.
Applicant must have a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in a relevant field (e.g., aquatic biology, marine science, environmental management, or coastal resources management) or equivalent research experience (2 years with a relevant associates degree plus 2 years relevant experience) at the time of application.
• Experience with subtidal survey and collection protocols;
• AAUS research SCUBA dive certification;
• Small boat experience;
• Knowledge of natural history and California marine organisms;
• Familiarity with California fisheries and experience engaging with fishing communities;
• Experience maintaining marine organisms;
• Knowledge and/or experience with laboratory work;
• Ability to manage, analyze and synthesize data;
• Strong organizational and communication skills;
• Experience with outreach, mentoring and coordinating others;
• Ability to work with diverse individuals and groups.
• Valid California Driver’s license
• Ability to work long work days (10+ hours) and a variable schedule including occasional weekends.
• The position will be located on the UCSB campus and field research and outreach activities will occur throughout California.
The duration of the initial appointment is 12 months at 100% time at the Junior Specialist level; reappointment for an additional year(s) is possible depending on performance and funding. The position is available immediately. Salary is competitive, commensurate with the applicant’s qualifications.
Please upload a cover letter stating your research and outreach accomplishments and interests, curriculum vitae, and contact information for up to three references to:
For primary consideration apply by February 8, 2021
Position is open until filled.
The University is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching and service as appropriate to the position.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Curriculum Vitae – Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter – State your research and outreach accomplishments and interests
- 3 required (contact information only)