small scholarship opportunity for team or individual papers relating to marine salvage and engineering. Please note two scholarship categories: one for college students, and one for high school students.
It’s that time of year again when the American Salvage Association (ASA) and the North American Marine Environment Protection Association (NAMEPA) join forces to host its Annual Call for Papers – Marine Sciences Competition. Running for its 7th consecutive year, the program opens the door for high school and college undergraduate students to demonstrate their passion in the Marine Sciences by participating in the program either individually or as a team. The initiative is intended to highlight the importance of preserving the marine environment through the use of sound environmental practices, raise awareness of the art and science of marine salvage and engineering, and to promote careers within the greater maritime industry. Each paper is reviewed by a technical committee of marine industry experts and is evaluated on a wide range of criteria including originality, data collection, supporting evidence, and tangibility within the real-world environment.
As a member of the ASA’s Education Committee, I kindly ask that you share the below with fellow faculty and students:
OFFICIAL CALL FOR PAPERS:
Did you (or someone you know such as your children, family or friends) demonstrate your passion in the marine sciences by participating in a science or engineering fair either individually or in a team (of up to three persons) sometime within the 2017-2018 school year? Would you like to receive scholarship money to further your education and research in this exciting field? If so, we invite you to send us a project abstract of 300 words or less and a technical paper describing your project for consideration of special awards to be presented jointly by the Education Committees of the American Salvage Association (ASA) and the North American Marine Environment Protection Association (NAMEPA). Your project will be evaluated by both associations with one submission. Papers and abstracts will be accepted from January 1, 2018 – September 1, 2018. Winners will be notified before September 30, 2018 and will be announced in a variety of official marine industry publications via official press release.
The competition will be divided into 2 groups for prizes: High School 9-12th grades and College/University undergraduate students. Scholarship recipients will be invited to receive the award at a marine industry function event of the ASA and/or NAMEPA in the Fall of 2018. This will provide the winners with a unique opportunity to interact and network with highly regarded marine industry representatives, potential employers, researchers, educators, and regulators. You won’t want to miss it!
To be considered, your project should focus on one of the following broad Marine Science subject areas:
- Marine Environmental Care
- Naval Architecture
- Marine Engineering
- Ocean Engineering
- Underwater Robotics
- Air Emissions from Ships
- Alternative Fuel Supplies for Ships
- Oil and Chemical Spill Remediation
- Offshore Well Control
- Diving Systems
- Marine Biology
- Marine Ecosystems
- Marine Microorganisms
- Ship Design
- Ship Breaking
- Recovery of Sunken Ships
- Cargo, Fuel or Pollutants
- Marine Salvage or Marine Environmental projects
- High School Prize – Enrolled in 9th – 12th grades during the 2017-2018 school year
- Undergraduate Prize – Undergraduate student enrolled full time during Fall 2017 – Winter 2018
- Papers can be submitted individually or as a group of up to three students
- Abstract of paper 300 words or less
- Technical Paper, no size limitation
- You may submit only the following file types: doc, docx, pdf, txt.
- Submission due on or before September 1, 2018
Prizes (offered jointly by both NAMEPA and ASA Education Committee):
- High School submission – $500, 250, 100 (1st 2nd, 3rd place)
- Undergraduate submission – $500, 250, 100 (1st 2nd, 3rd place)
- All prize winners will receive recognition in industry publications
- All prize winners will receive an invitation to receive their awards at a marine industry function
- Additional “special recognition” awards may be presented dependent upon submissions
Submit an Entry:
Electronic submission forms can be found and submitted via the following link: http://www.americansalvage.org/science-fair/