Job Title: Data Mgmt Special 2-Nat Sci (SEA 7-9H)
Published Job Title: Data Management Specialist 2
The Data Management Specialist 2 (Natural Science) will assist the Alaska Fisheries Science Center’s (AFSC) Fisheries Monitoring and Analysis Division (FMA) with data management. The position is located at the Alaska Fisheries Science Center, 7600 Sandpoint Way N.E., Seattle, Washington. The job duties of this position will be to assess, track and ensure that data collected by fisheries observers meets data quality standards.
This position reports to the Debriefing Services Supervisor and is primarily responsible for:
- Serving as an inseason advisor for fisheries observers deployed to commercial fishing vessels.
- Conducting mid-cruise debriefings of fisheries observers during their deployment to commercial fishing vessels.
- Conducting final debriefings of fisheries observers at the completion of their deployment to commercial fishing vessel.
- Ensuring the data collection methods used by fisheries observers are consistent with the programs’ established procedures.
- Ensuring that all data collected by fisheries observers meets the program’s data quality standards.
- Assisting fisheries observers to resolve data collection and recording problems.
- Assisting in the briefing of fisheries observers prior to their deployment.
- Interacting with members of the fishing industry to assess whether their vessel meets Federal requirements for fisheries observer sample stations.
- Working and communicating with FMA staff to ensure data integrity and consistency.
Pay is $21.12/hour, expected start date is June 5, 2017 and application close date is 5/16/2017.