Want to go to sea this summer?
We’ve got some spots to fill!
Are you looking for something different this summer?
NOAA’s Northwest Fisheries Science Center (NWFSC) is looking for a few good scientists to fill out the Wet Lab staff during the 2017 Hake Survey! Sail with us aboard the Bell M. Shimada, an acoustically-quiet NOAA vessel, as we gather data to produce a biomass estimate for the migratory Pacific Hake population.
Do you qualify?
- Are you a greenhorn (newbie), a salty dog (oldie), or somewhere in between?
- Can you carry 15 pounds?
- Ascend and descend stairs and ladders?
- Hear a general alarm (hearing aid permitted)?
What do volunteers do?
- Take biological data from fish (length, weight, age, tissue samples, etc)
- Deploy, retrieve, and review video from an underwater camera
- Other duties to fulfill the mission
How to volunteer
Pick a leg (or two, or three!) and contact Alicia Billings @ Alicia.Billings@noaa.gov or 541.867.0507
2017 Tentative Summer Schedule
Leg 1: June 15 – July 1; Newport, OR to San Francisco, CA
Leg 2: July 5 – July 20; San Francisco, CA to Newport, OR
Leg 3: July 23 – August 7; Newport, OR to Port Angeles, WA
Leg 4: August 11 – August 26; Port Angeles, WA to TBD
Leg 5: August 29 – September 12; TBD to Seattle, WA