Position Description: Environmental Science Center Beach Naturalist
The Environmental Science Center (ESC) is a non-profit organization, offering quality, experiential environmental education programs at local beaches, streams, forested areas, and in classrooms throughout South King County. We are currently hiring Beach Naturalists for our spring 2016 Beach Heroes Programs, to take place at Seahurst Park in Burien.
The Beach Heroes program introduces students to the local Puget Sound beach habitat and the organisms that live there. During the 1-hour classroom visit, students will understand proper beach etiquette and stewardship while learning about marine invertebrates and their relationship to the beach habitat. The 2-hour field study features both naturalist-led beach exploration and structured activities, during which students will learn all about the habitat restoration of Seahurst Beach!
- Conduct 2-hour field study programs for students K-6 about common intertidal marine organisms, ecological importance of the nearshore habitat, and marine stewardship. ESC curriculum provided.
- Model appropriate stewardship behavior.
- Guide groups of 10-13 students during field study programs.
- Experience teaching children and adults in outdoor or informal settings.
- Knowledge of the Puget Sound nearshore habitat including marine invertebrate and seaweed identification, tide zonation, and ecological relationships.
- Willingness to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Exceptional interpretive skills.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Must be able to pass a Washington State background check.
Compensation: $17.00/hour – $19.00/hour DOE
Time Commitment: Part-time/ seasonal, based on demand.
The ESC spring season starts in April and runs through June, 2016. Field studies are typically scheduled Monday – Friday between 9:00am and 2:30pm. There may be special weekend projects that occur on occasion. Beach naturalist time commitment per shift is approximately 2.5 hours. Attendance is required at the training session in March at Seahurst Park in Burien.
Supervisor: Joanna Stodden, ESC Program Manager.
Work Location: Seahurst Park (1600 SW Seahurst Drive, Burien, WA 98166)
How to Apply
Please send a letter of interest, resume and three references via e-mail to ESC’s Program Manager by emailing email@example.com by Monday February 15th. For more information, email or call (206) 248-4266.